Thursday 17 March 2011

Basic future tense

Hi guys. This post is all about how to form the future tense (the immediate future) to say that you are going to do something. It's not too tricky so don't worry!

If you want to say: I am going to... then you need a basic stem. You can add anything you want afterwards which just depends on how wide your vocab is. e.g. I am going to play; i am going to eat; or I am going to sing.

The main stem is whichever person you want (in this case it's Je = I) + the correct form of the verb aller = to go. (this is an irregular verb by the way, so won't follow the pattern mentioned in my previous post) Here's the verb for you:

Je vais
Tu vas
Il / Elle / On va

Nous allons
Vous allez
Ils / Elles vont

So, if i wanted to say: I am going to eat:

Je vais manger (with the verb to eat being manger)

Here are some other examples:

Il va chanter (He is going to sing)
Nous allons jouer (we are going to play)

P.S notice how the main verb to play, to sing, to eat is left in the infinitive. You don't need to change it to match the patterns in the older posts because here you're not saying I play, you're saying I am going to play. And Jouer means to play.   :-)

1 comment: